The Truth & Meaning of Sexuality, Love & Family online course will provide you with an understanding of the core truths of sexuality, love and family as defined by Sacred Scripture, tradition and natural law. Our goal is for this course to serve as a solid foundation for authentic formation of men and women in their dignity as images of God.
Here are just a few of the course objectives:
- Students will be able to articulate the rationale for a family-centered approach to education in the truth and meaning of sexuality and chastity.
- Students will be able to explain the core concepts of the Theology of the Body and total-person sexuality.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the impact of misuse of sexual powers on the human person physically, psychologically and spiritually.
- Students will be able to identify the reasons marriage has historically been and should continue to be the foundation of the family.
- Students will be able to explain the influence of the family on a child’s beliefs and attitudes about sexuality.
Since becoming available on the Internet, the program’s class rosters have included parents, teachers, catechists, family life directors, youth ministers, marriage preparation leaders, RCIA staff, chastity educators and clergy and other religious.
“This course challenges, on multiple levels, the pervasive cultural perception that Christianity – and in particular Catholicism – opposes human love and sexuality,” says Family Honor Executive Director Brenda Cerkez. “The course is engaging and very rich in content, including the Venerable John Paul II’s Theology of the Body and Pope Benedict XVI’s explanation of human sexual love in ‘Deus Caritas Est.’”
Course modules include:
College credit for this course is optional. You may request undergraduate or graduate course credits (which are given through the Education Department at Newman University in Wichita, Kansas) or you may take the course without any college credit.
- History of Sex Education
- Introduction to the Theology of the Body
- Male/Female Complementarity
- Godly and Godless Expressions of Sexuality
- Natural Consequences of Misunderstanding/Misuse of Sexual Powers
- The Family – Putting It in Perspective
- Evangelizing on Sexuality, Love and Family
You have the option of taking the course with one of three goals in mind:
Professional Development with Credit Hours – Receive graduate or undergraduate credit from Newman University, in Wichita, Kan. Diocesan or parish ministry leaders may choose this to obtain ongoing professional development with credit hours, or to earn credit hours toward an undergraduate or graduate degree. The tuition of $700 includes tuition to Newman University for the credit hours.
Professional Development with Certificate of Completion Only – Dioceses and parishes who want appropriate leaders to complete a course that will provide a strong foundation of knowledge in Catholic teachings on chastity and human sexuality may choose this option, which provides a certificate of completion for those who earn a grade of C or higher. No college credit is available with this option, and tuition is $500.
Presenter Preparation – College Credit Optional – Those who think they may want to take the course as a first step in the process of possibly becoming a Family Honor Presenter after taking the course may select to earn college credit ($700 tuition) or a Certificate of Completion ($500 tuition) as outlined above.
Click here to go to our registration form.