Chastity Education is being encouraged across the country by several Bishops! In January, then Archbishop Timothy Dolan of the Archdiocese of New York, preached about chastity during a Sunday homily. In February, newly elevated Cardinal Dolan talked with Family Honor’s Executive Director, Brenda Cerkez, on his radio program, Conversation with the Cardinal, about how our parent–child programs are helping families talk about God’s gift of sexuality.
Now, Bishop Robert Baker from the Diocese of Birmingham, Alabama, is requiring chastity education as a part of Confirmation preparation, and has recommended Family Honor’s Real Love & Real Life program.
Bishop Baker sent a letter to the priests, deacons, and Catechetical Leaders in the diocese asking for their support in “implementing, as a required part of every Confirmation preparation program in the Diocese of Birmingham, a component on Chastity Education that would embrace the understanding of human sexuality as articulated in The Theology of the Body.” Bishop Baker “recommend[s] the work of Family Honor, a Catholic organization committed to promoting the teaching of The Theology of the Body in a family-centered approach.” He understands the important need for chastity education in our culture today, even indicating that “we live in a society infected with a spirit of confusion regarding many moral issues, including the truth and meaning of human sexuality, the nature and relationships of genders, chastity, marriage, and celibacy,” and that “the Church’s teachings regarding these realities …are under such attack today…”
Because Family Honor wants as many families as possible to be able to participate in our programs, we have requested and received scholarship funds from a kind Alabama-based donor. He is providing designated scholarships for Catholic parishes and/or schools in the Diocese of Birmingham that book a Real Love & Real Life program for the upcoming program year, starting in September. Note that scholarship funding is limited and is first come, first serve.
- Family Honor will provide up to $1,000 towards the costs of delivering a “Real Love & Real Life” program (for parents and their 8th graders).
- An authorized parish representative must fill out and sign the program request form.
- All program requests must be received by the Family Honor office no later than August 15 to be considered for the scholarship funds. (The program must be delivered before December 31, 2012.)
Additionally, a limited number of online course scholarships are available for adults in the Diocese of Birmingham who register for the Fall 2012 semester of “The Truth and Meaning of Sexuality, Love & Family: Cultural Implications,” which begins on August 16.
- Family Honor will provide up to $400 per student, to be used exclusively for tuition, for those who register for the upcoming semester.
- Students who are open to becoming Family Honor presenters will be given priority.
- Interested individuals should fill out a registration form and submit it to the Family Honor office by August 3 for consideration.